7.10.2011

Strawberry Peach Sangria Pops


While Thomas was in Chicago for a few days, I took the time to experiment with some new recipe ideas. Friends find it strange that I like to cook for myself, but I really enjoy testing out new ideas without facing rejection. I’m not saying that Thomas judges my cooking abilities or would ever push his plate aside (he once bravely powered through some disgustingly sandy and rubbery scallops), but my perfectionism definitely rears its ugly face while I’m cooking. After a few recipe test runs, there were some winners including an Italian tuna and farro salad (post coming soon), and there were some losers like roasted chicken with limoncello sauce (mediocre and frankly, a bit nauseating).


On a lazy Saturday afternoon, I surveyed the contents of my fridge and decided to make use of my ripe strawberries and peaches to create a fun and fruity smoothie. And since the temperature was in the 90’s, I took it one step further and decided to make fun and fruity popsicles. When I discovered a bottle of white zinfandel that a friend gifted us as a joke that had been banished to the deepest corner of the fridge, I just had to take it up a notch and make fun and fruity alcoholic popsicles! Luckily no one was around to criticize me for using such a shoddy wine to make popsicles. Don’t judge me. I played around with my ingredients to make strawberry-peach sangria and then froze the mixture in my $3.99 popsicle molds from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Although the finished product was refreshingly delicious, I failed to take into consideration that when making these strawberry peach sangria pops alone, that I would essentially be drinking alone too. Oh well. Bottoms up! Again, don’t judge me :)


Strawberry Peach Sangria Pops

Makes 4 large popsicles

Ingredients

1 cup strawberries, diced
1 cup peaches, diced (skins and pits removed)
½ cup white grape juice
½ cup white wine (Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc would be nice, or perhaps a Rosé)
Pinch of cinnamon

Method

Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add a hint of superfine sugar as needed (I did not add sugar because my grape juice was plenty sweet). Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. If the popsicles are difficult to remove, run the tray under warm water and wiggle until the popsicles slide out easily. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

those are the perfect summertime treat, they look delicious and refreshing.
Welcome to food buzz!

Anne M. said...

What a delicious idea!!!!

Lisa said...

What beautiful looking popsicles. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till tomorrow night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your popsicles up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

Caroline said...

These look delicious, but (perhaps more importantly0 - I LOVE your napkin! May I ask where it is from?

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks Caroline! I got the fabric for my napkins from Jo-Ann Fabric Store.

Melissa said...

You just inspired me to make mojito pops!! :)

kristina@beancakes ❤ said...

ah ~ these look so good! i've been meaning to make homemade pops ~ i think i will try my hand at these babies! i stumbled upon your lovely blog ~ happy wednesday to you!
xx ~ kristina

Kelly cos said...

Fab and I are going to try these! We love sangria in all forms!!!! U go giiiiiiirl! P.s. We never judge:)