9.29.2011

Chai-Spiced Meringues



We’re moving (again). Everything is in boxes and I can’t find anything. While cooking amongst piles and piles of boxes, I keep looking for certain appliances that I’m not even completely sure that I’ve ever actually owned, like a garlic grater, bamboo steamer, or pastry bag. It turns out that I have, in fact, never owned any of those. Although I’m starting to lose my mind a little, I’ve become quite the MacGyver. I’ve fashioned gadgets and gizmos out of twigs, burlap, and duct tape. Well, not really, but I did successfully make a frosting tip out of a magazine cover and a pastry bag from a cut-out Ziploc. It’s been rough, but we’re surviving.

My MacGyver skills came in handy for my Chai-Spiced Meringues. In all honesty, I decided to make these in an attempt to reduce the amount of items in our pantry and refrigerator. That’s another annoying component of moving – trying to use up all food already on hand. I must say though, that these meringues turned out to be happy little treats born out of nothing and created using resourceful methods (my magazine frosting tip and Ziploc pastry bag proved to be very effective). While Thomas now calls these MacGyver Meringues, I’m just happy that they pack up easily and can join us in our move.




Chai-Spiced Meringues
Makes about 36 mini meringues - each one is less than 5 calories!

Note: Meringues can be quite tricky sometimes. Things like the bowl's material and even the humidity can ruin their formation. Here is a link that explains all of those pesky factors that can work against you and your meringue: Meringue Tips

Ingredients

2 egg whites, room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Dash black pepper


Method

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites, salt, and lemon juice or cream of tarter until soft peaks begin to form – this takes about 3 minutes. Add the spices and sugar (one tablespoon at a time) and continue to beat for another few minutes, until the meringue is stiff and can stand up on its own, as shown in the picture above. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and form small circles on the lined baking sheet (I made mine about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter). You can also spoon the meringue onto the sheet if you don’t have a pastry bag, or don’t feel like pulling a MacGyver. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and crisp, and then let the meringues cool. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired, and enjoy!


18 comments:

Anne M. said...

I will definitely be trying these. Thanks for the calorie content. Now I know that I can eat them all!!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Haha! Yes, I certainly would have devoured them all on my own if a certain husband wasn't present...

Kelsey Colt said...

Since I got my KitchenAid mixer I've been dying to make anything that involves whipped egg whites! This looks fabulous, perfect for fall and my sister will love how healthy it is!!!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks, Kelsey! You're so right - it is the perfect thing to make with a KitchenAid mixer. Hope you and your sis like them!

Taylor said...

does using the whole egg, including the yolk, affect the end result?

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Taylor, yolks and many other factors can affect your meringue. Things like the bowl's material and even the humidity can ruin its formation. Here is a link that explains all of those pesky factors that can work against you and your meringue: Meringue Tips

Susan @ Happy Hippie said...

These are DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for posting the recipe! My step mom and I really enjoy chai tea lattes, and these make the perfect little snack to go along with them! Your blog is great, and I enjoy reading your recipes and posts. :)

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks, Susan! Glad you like them and thanks for reading :)

Anonymous said...

Exactly how mini is mini? I'm making mine now and am not sure how small they need to be!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

I made mine about 2 inches in diameter. Hope you like them!

Saguna said...

I tried making them but I had trouble getting them to stay in peaks- they’re on my blog. Any suggestions? Thanks for the cool recipe- I need to work on the egg whites falling flat, though..

Anonymous said...

YES, IT WORKED! So light!

Being Inspired said...

These look delicious! Can't wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Cherie and Cory said...

These turned out fabulous with splenda to keep the calorie and carb count lower. They go perfectly as an "after the kids go to bed treat" with coffee... That way my husband and I don't have to share:-)

Anonymous said...

300 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Anonymous said...

^ Fahrenheit. Obviously. Unless you plan on burning down your house at the same time.

chalene said...

fail so sad they were flat and sticky and gummy to much humiity :(

Flavours by Fi said...

Absolutely delicious! The first time round they where a fail, tip: do not beat you egg whites too much! You shall be disappointed. The second time round, spectacular👌. This is going to be one of my favorite meringue recipes, thank you!