3.08.2012

Butternut Squash Fries w/ Maple-Miso Mayo


I’m happy to say that eating French fries is not one of my vices – sweets are more my style. Making a healthy alternative for French fries may seem strange since I don’t even eat them, but I do happen to be totally addicted to butternut squash. Typically, when Thomas is away on business and I am left to my own devices, it is not uncommon for me to go to the market and grab the largest butternut squash I can find and lug it home for dinner. Yes, I’ve eaten a two-pound squash all on my own. So what? For this recipe, I turned my squash into fries and added a yummy maple-miso mayo to dip them in. Maybe I’ll make this recipe again when Thomas is actually around to enjoy it with me. Or, maybe not.


Butternut Squash Fries w/ Maple-Miso Mayo

Ingredients

1 butternut squash
½ teaspoon corn starch
Cooking spray
Coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayo
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon white miso paste


Method

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the round bottom off the squash and save it for another use like soup. Peel the long top part and dice into French fry shapes. Toss with corn starch until absorbed. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, lay out the fries in a single layer, and spray again with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway through. Cooking time may vary based on the thickness of the fries.

In a small bowl, combine the mayo, maple syrup, and miso paste. Serve the fries immediately with the mayo dipping sauce. Do not stack them on a plate because they will get soggy quickly. Enjoy!



8 comments:

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

Those look yummy. I am, unfortunately, an eater of french fries. They're always my answer when asked about my guilty pleasure. Thanks for providing an alternative!

Chloe@EveryCraving said...

I love french fries and butternut squash!! These look delicious :)

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks ladies! Have a great weekend!

kale said...

Fries actually are one of my vices! And so is maple syrup. (I'm a predictable Canadian that way!) And is that a little maple-shaped dish?? So cute!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Yup, that's my little maple leaf dish. I'm a bit of a maple syrup freak :)

Unknown said...

Chrissy! I just made these tonight with sweet potatoes and they were awesome. We especially loved the sauce and my husband was licking his plate. Thanks girl!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

So glad you guys liked it, Gwen! I saw those sweet potatoes from your garden on your blog and knew that I needed to plant some immediately!

Maid Service West Sacramento said...

Thankks great blog post