7.06.2011

Horseradish-Dill Crackers


Thomas and I spent Fourth of July weekend with my family at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. I absolutely love it there because of the beautiful scenery, fresh mountain air, laidback and unpretentious attitude, and family-oriented fun. We did our fair share of boating, hiking, barbequing, drinking, and story-telling. We made the rounds between the town’s popular new brew pub, old fashioned ice cream shop, quaint coffee house, and a no-frills roadside breakfast stop.





Somehow, it seems as if time stands still in Deep Creek. I have vacationed there since I was about 5 years old – skiing in the winter and boating in the summer. Although I have witnessed more and more homes pop up and new developments emerge, Deep Creek manages to remain modest, unruffled, and traditional.



Something about that town takes me back to a simpler time. When I am not enjoying the outdoors, I have an overwhelming desire to break out the rolling pin, strap on an apron, and start baking. I decided to whip up some homemade crackers to serve as an hors d'oeuvre at our family cocktail hour. I gave them a little extra pep with the addition of horseradish and dill. These crackers are delicious when topped either with a sharp cheddar cheese or with smoked salmon and crème fraiche. They were the prefect ending to an active summer's day, as we lounged around, sipped cocktails, and enjoyed a truly memorable sunset over our favorite lake.


Horseradish-Dill Crackers Recipe

Makes about 30 crackers

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried dill
1 ½ tablespoons horseradish (add more for extra spice)
Water



Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine butter, flour, salt, dill, and horseradish with your hands. Mix together until a dough forms, adding a tablespoon or two of water if necessary. Move the dough to a floured board and roll out until about a ¼ to ½ inch thick. Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Using a 2-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out the crackers and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20-22 minutes and then allow to cool.

These crackers can be a bit crumbly, so top with caution. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice!

Anonymous said...

We always head east to the beach from the DC area, but maybe we'll have to venture to Deep Creek next.

Great idea to add dill and horseradish to your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, I made the crackers last week. They are wonderful. My only problem was that the dough really stuck to the rolling pin (perhaps it has something to do with the humidity in Memphis). Anyway, the crackers are great, and I'll be taking them (when I make some more) to social gatherings.

Thanks,
Dr. D.