11.11.2011

Grilled Ham, Asparagus, and Gruyère Sandwich

On one of my very first dates with Thomas, we went to a great restaurant where I had Atlantic salmon with grilled asparagus. When he noticed me pushing away the green spears in favor of fish, he brazenly asked, “Why aren’t you eating the asparagus? Is it because it makes your pee stink?” I was still masquerading as a dainty lady during our initial dates, so this awkward question prompted me to choke on my food. I was mortified. There we were, at the supposed butterflies-stage of our budding relationship, and already talking about smelly urine – very romantic indeed.

While this grilled ham, asparagus, and Gruyère sandwich is very quick and easy to assemble, it unfortunately creates the aforementioned unwelcome side-effects. If you are worried about additional smelly factors, then you can substitute another Swiss melting cheese for Gruyère, which can be quite stinky on its own. In my opinion, though, when it comes to cheese, the stinkier the better. So, to sum up, look beyond asparagus’ unpleasant side effects, pile on the smelly Gruyère, and enjoy this tasty sandwich. Smell ya later!

Grilled Ham, Asparagus, and Gruyère Sandwich
Makes 1 sandwich

Ingredients

Olive oil/ butter/ cooking spray
8-9 stalks of asparagus, washed and trimmed
2 slices of bread
2 ounces Black Forest ham
3 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated

Method

Coat asparagus in olive oil or cooking spray and roast in the oven or sauté in a skillet until tender. Butter the bread and assemble sandwich. Over medium high heat, grill in a nonstick skillet until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side. (Tip: cover with a lid to help the cheese melt.) Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and it looks great too! never put asparagus on a sandwich, thanks for the idea:)

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks, Gwen. The sandwich is actually a twist on my favorite quiche. I hadn't seen asparagus on sandwiches either until I went on a trip to Copenhagen a few years ago. It's always intrigued me. Hope you like it!