3.11.2011

Rosemary Lamb Meatballs and Pan-Seared Polenta






There is so much hype surrounding meatballs these days. Take the Meatball Shop in NYC for instance. Here, the meatball is showcased and glorified in all of its homestyle, comfort food goodness. Are meatballs becoming the new cupcakes? Ha, probably not...although I did roast my meatballs in individual cupcake tins.

Typically, when I make meatballs, I use a combination of ground beef, pork, and veal. This time, however, I decided to let the lamb take center stage. I combined one beaten egg, garlic, onion, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and lots of rosemary like I've watched my mom do millions of times. I then roasted the formed meatballs in cupcake tins, and then finished braising them in a traditional tomato sauce. For my polenta, I cooked cornmeal in chicken stock and a bit of Parmesan on the stovetop. Once it was thoroughly cooked, I spread it on a sheet pan to cool. I then cut the polenta into triangles and pan-seared them.

The rosemary lamb meatballs complimented the polenta perfectly. With food trends these days, making an old fashioned dinner like meatballs and sauce can make me feel like a posh little chef. Now all I need to do is make these meatballs into hand-held portable treats...

No comments: