12.05.2011

Panettone Soda Bread


Which of the following makes Panettone really uncool?

a) After a very long journey from Italy, it’s usually pretty stale by the time it finds a spot on the seasonal shelf at the market.

b) It is sold in a huge box, weighs a ton, and can’t fit in my cute little reusable grocery bags.

c) If you attempt to make it from scratch, the proofing, rising, kneading, and waiting are enough of a bother to make you want to stick your head in the oven.

d) All of the above.

If you chose d) All of the above, then you know your stuff! In an attempt to duplicate the flavors of Panettone while sidestepping all of its inconveniences, I decided to make a soda bread version. Yeast and excessive kneading are not required to bake this easy quick bread. In fact, baking soda and buttermilk are the key elements that provide the bread’s leavening. With very few basic ingredients and some extra goodies like orange zest, raisins, and currants thrown in, this quick and easy Panettone soda bread tastes like the real thing. Plus, the only reason you'll want to stick your head in the oven is to smell the overwhelmingly delicious, home-baked goodness within.


Panettone Soda Bread
Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ stick unsalted butter, melted
1 ¾ cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoons grated orange zest
½ teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup dried currants
½ cup golden raisins
You can also add crystallized ginger, chocolate chips, or dried cranberries


Method

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Melt butter in a separate bowl and whisk in buttermilk and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well combined. Stir in the zest, currants, and raisins. Use your hands to get them incorporated.

Place dough on a floured surface. Gentle form into a ball and then transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a knife, lightly cut an “X” across the top of the dough. Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. To test doneness, tap with your finger and listen for a hollow sound. Serve warm with butter or jam and enjoy!

P.S. This Panettone Soda Bread makes fabulous French toast too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very impressive article. Well prepared. Very motivating!! Set off on to way

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

This is a great idea, count me in!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks Liza! If you make this, let me know what you think of the sweetness level.

jen said...

Since I always shy away from any recipe containing the dreaded "Y" word, this recipe is definitely for me. It reminds me of the coconut sweetbread my mother used to make in my native Trinidad. That recipe did contain the "Y" word, so thank goodness Mother wasn't afraid of it.

beti said...

what a great combination! it looks soft and delicious

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

Thought I'd tell you I finally made this (I bought the ingredients two weeks ago after all). I just snuck a little end of it fresh out of the oven and it's delicious! I'm pleased with the sweetness level actually. It will work well as a dessert tonight after my dad's Indian birthday dinner(he gets the rest as his present--lucky him). Thanks for posting this.

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

ps. I added the crystallized ginger also, but I couldn't really taste it. I guess I'm sort of on the fence about crystallized ginger after all.

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks for letting me know, Liza. Try it with coffee for dessert. Delish!