1.30.2011

Warm Winter Salad in an Anchovy Vinaigrette



I love when I have an amazing meal at a restaurant and then realize that I am perfectly capable of duplicating it at home. I had a salad similar to this one at Peels Restaurant in NYC. For my version, I flash steamed some purple kale, treviso, and baby bella mushrooms, and then topped with walnuts and Parmigiano Reggiano. I was very tempted to add roasted beets or smoked trout into the mix, but there is always next time. What makes this salad so yummy is that the veggies are flash steamed, taking away the harsh bite that raw kale and treviso tend to have. I made an anchovy vinaigrette by combining anchovy paste, Dijon mustard, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice. Top this salad off with a hard boiled egg and you’re not only set with a wholesome and hearty salad, but also one that will keep you warm during the chilliest of months.

No comments: