2.21.2012

Roasted Haricots Verts Salad

Our recent trip to Paris had me thinking about bistro fare. We came across a very simple salade de haricots verts on pretty much every menu. Haricots verts are green beans. If you’re French, you say it that way – or if you’re fancy. This salad is fancy. It not only has haricots verts, but roasted haricots verts, along with goat cheese, walnuts, and shallots. I whipped up a simple salad dressing for it, but I’m going to call it a vinaigrette just to make it sound fancy too. Roasted Haricots Verts Salad makes a great starter or side dish and despite its fancy name, it’s incredibly easy to prepare. Bon appétit!
Roasted Haricots Verts Salad
Serves 2

Ingredients

Olive oil
½ pound French green beans
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
Handful toasted walnuts

Vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon champagne, white wine, or sherry vinegar
½ shallot, very thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt & cracked pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry the beans. You can trim the ends if you’d like, but I like the rustic look with them whole. Toss beans in a bit of olive oil and spread onto a baking sheet. Roast in oven for 15 minutes, turning halfway through.

Meanwhile, pour vinegar into a mixing cup. Add the shallots and let them sit to pickle a bit. Add mustard after a few minutes and then whisk in the olive oil.

Toss the roasted beans with the vinaigrette and top with crumbled goat cheese and toasted walnuts. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper and enjoy!

6 comments:

kale said...

I love simple salads with green beans! Or rather, haricots verts. ;) You are making me anxious to get back to Paris!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Sometimes it's the simplest salads that are the most delicious. Let's go to Paris now!

Juice said...

This is beautiful. I could almost make a meal of it.

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks, Juice. Throw some chicken or salmon on top and you're in business!

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

I roast beans all the time, but I never thought to put a vinaigrette on top. This is something I would definitely make. Goat cheese? Yes! Shallots? Yes! Champagne? Oui!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Liza, I knew my other Francophile blogger would be into this :)